Skip to content

The transition process

Transition is another word for change and “moving on”.  There are times in your life when there will be changes to the way you are supported, like when you become an adult and then when you reach old age.   

This page tells you about the transitions process.  It talks about transitions

We also have a leaflet with more information about the transitions process for people with Autism.


Moving from children's to adult's social care services

As a parent, you will probably first meet a transition social worker when your child is in year 9 of school.  The Annual Review in Year 9 is called a Transition Review.  This review is the start of an important planning process for the young person's future.  The transitions team also go to school parents’ evenings.

At the Transition Review, people from health and social care agencies, and Connexions get to speak to the young person and their family.  Young people can tell us with the support of their family about the help and support they might need and a Transitional Plan will be written.

A copy of the Transitional Plan and review will be sent to the people who were invited to the meeting.  The plan will be reviewed within school each year.  The Transition Team social workers will be invited back to attend further reviews as required.

In the final year of school or college a social worker from the Transition Team will contact you again.  If the young person needs a service from Adult Services the social workers will complete an assessment of need.

The Transitions Team will support the young person and their family until the planning has been completed and the placement is working well.  Then, the Children and Young People’s social worker transfers the responsibility for monitoring and reviewing the case to the Adult Services.   We will always let you know who to contact in adults services and which service will know about your family’s needs.

Older People

When you reach 65 years old then financial and care management responsibility passes to the Older People’s Service. Usually this does not mean a change in your living situation or support arrangements, although it will mean a change in social worker.

Before becoming 65 years old you are referred to the Older People’s Service and all the information about you is handed over to them. If you are known to a social worker in the Disabilities Service there will also be a joint meeting between them and a social worker from the Older People’s Service. The Joint Learning Disabilities Service continues to be available to offer advice to the Older People’s Service on learning disabilities matters.

To find out more, contact your social worker or the Adult Access Team.